Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Posted to the SCA_recipes LiveJournal community. "Pass almonds that have been well cleaned and ground through a strainer with milk and rosewater. And to these add the breast of a chicken, boiled and ground separately, and blend in well some meal, two or three egg whites, and sugar. When this has been prepared, as you wish, fry them either in oil or liquamen."
- 2 ounces blanched ground almonds
- 3⁄8 cup milk
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons rose water
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2⁄3 cup Bulgar wheat, ground fine in a coffee grinder
- 5 egg whites
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Mix ground almonds with rosewater and 1/4 cup milk. Set aside.
- Poach chicken breasts in lightly salted water about 10 minutes. Cut chicken breasts into large chunks and run them through a blender or food processor, using 1-2 egg whites and remaining milk if necessary to make them sufficiently liquid to blend.
- Combine chicken, remaining egg whites, almond mixture, and remaining ingredients. Form into patties.
- Pour oil 1/2" deep in a skillet or frying pan. Heat to 375°F Carefully slide patties into hot oil with a pancake turner. Fry 1-2 minute on each side until brown. They are good served with salt sprinkled over them.