Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This easy chocolate cake is rich and dense, and surprisingly easy to make.
- 3⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 3⁄4 cups granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup strong freshly brewed coffee
- 1 cup almond fresh vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 3 1⁄2 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted roughly
- 2⁄3 cup cocoa
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup butter, at room temperature
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
- 5 tablespoons almond fresh vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease and line the base of a 10” round cake pan with baking paper.
- Sieve dry ingredients and set aside.
- In a separate bowl mix wet ingredients. Combine wet and dry ingredients and mix until combined.
- Pour into pan and bake until cake springs back when lightly touched (45–60 minutes).
- Cool and frost.
- Sift together confectioners' sugar, cocoa powder and salt.
- In a separate bowl mix together butter, vanilla extract, almond extract, and a third of dry ingredients. Add additional third of dry ingredients with 2tbsp (30 mL) Almond Fresh and mix until thoroughly incorporated.
- Add last third of dry ingredients and 2 tbsp (30 mL) of remaining Almond Fresh and mix until thoroughly incorporated. If frosting is too stiff add an extra tbsp of Almond Fresh.