These almonds are browned in butter to bring a nutty crunch to this classic French toast recipe. From Gourmet May 2006.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Put oven rack in middle position and preheat to 275ºF.
- 2Whisk together eggs, half and half, sugar, vanilla and salt in a large shallow dish until well combined.
- 3Spread almonds on a large plate.
- 4Soak 4 slices of bread in the egg mixture, turning over once, until saturated.
- 5Working with 1 slice at a time, remove the bread, letting the excess egg mixture drip off, then dredge in almonds to coat both sides, gently pressing to help adhere.
- 6Transfer to a plate or wax paper. Repeat procedure with remaining 4 slices.
- 7Heat 1 1/2 Tbs butter in a 12-inch heavy skillet over medium heat until foam subsides, then cook 4 bread slices, turning over once, until almonds and bread are golden brown, 5-6 minute.
- 8Add the remaining 1 1/2 Tbs butter and cook the remaining 4 slices in the same manner. Transfer the cooked French toast to a baking sheet and keep warm in the oven while cooking the last 4 pieces.
Browse Our Top Beverages Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Almond French Toast
Serving Size: 1 (255 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 665.0
- Calories from Fat 380
- Total Fat 42.2 g
- Saturated Fat 15.1 g
- Cholesterol 305.0 mg
- Sodium 631.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 52.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.2 g
- Sugars 7.5 g
- Protein 22.4 g