Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
These almonds are browned in butter to bring a nutty crunch to this classic French toast recipe. From Gourmet May 2006.
- Put oven rack in middle position and preheat to 275ºF.
- Whisk together eggs, half and half, sugar, vanilla and salt in a large shallow dish until well combined.
- Spread almonds on a large plate.
- Soak 4 slices of bread in the egg mixture, turning over once, until saturated.
- Working with 1 slice at a time, remove the bread, letting the excess egg mixture drip off, then dredge in almonds to coat both sides, gently pressing to help adhere.
- Transfer to a plate or wax paper. Repeat procedure with remaining 4 slices.
- Heat 1 1/2 Tbs butter in a 12-inch heavy skillet over medium heat until foam subsides, then cook 4 bread slices, turning over once, until almonds and bread are golden brown, 5-6 minute.
- Add the remaining 1 1/2 Tbs butter and cook the remaining 4 slices in the same manner. Transfer the cooked French toast to a baking sheet and keep warm in the oven while cooking the last 4 pieces.
This worked fairly well. The bread needs to soak up quite a bit of custard to be able to get the almonds to adhere. It has to be watched very carefully in the pan - it went from pale to almost burnt in under 60 seconds, and I had the heat just below medium. Next time, I might play with the proportions on the custard - I spilled a lot down the drain, and it didn't need that much dairy.