Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
This is one of my family's favorites brunches. Because of the baking powder the slices really "puff" up when fried, and the French toast is light and so fluffy! Prep time includes one hour refrigeration time. Also the bread slices need to be refrigerated for 1 hour.
- 2 cups cups slivered almonds (can use more or less)
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup half-and-half cream (or full-fat milk)
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄8-1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 10 -12 slices thick French bread
- 3 tablespoons oil (more as needed)
- 4 tablespoons butter (more as needed)
- confectioners' sugar (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the almonds in a small saucepan; toss occasionally until lightly browned (about 5-8 minutes) careful not to overbrown; set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, half and half or milk (if using) flour, salt, baking powder, almond extract and vanilla.
- Soak the bread slices in the egg mixture until soaked.
- Place in a shallow glass dish.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate the bread slices for about 1 hour.
- Heat the oil and butter in a skillet (I do this on my large electric frypan).
- Doing one slice at a time, press one side of the soaked bread slice into the toasted almonds to coat.
- Fry the bread slices on both sides until golden.
- Sprinkle with confectioners sugar if desired.