1/1 Photo of Almond French Toast
This is one of my family's favorites brunches. Because of the baking powder the slices really "puff" up when fried, and the French toast is light and so fluffy! Prep time includes one hour refrigeration time. Also the bread slices need to be refrigerated for 1 hour.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups cups slivered almonds (can use more or less)
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup half-and-half cream (or full-fat milk)
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1/8-1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 10 -12 slices thick French bread
- 3 tablespoons oil (more as needed)
- 4 tablespoons butter (more as needed)
- confectioners' sugar (optional)
- 1Place the almonds in a small saucepan; toss occasionally until lightly browned (about 5-8 minutes) careful not to overbrown; set aside.
- 2In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, half and half or milk (if using) flour, salt, baking powder, almond extract and vanilla.
- 3Soak the bread slices in the egg mixture until soaked.
- 4Place in a shallow glass dish.
- 5Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate the bread slices for about 1 hour.
- 6Heat the oil and butter in a skillet (I do this on my large electric frypan).
- 7Doing one slice at a time, press one side of the soaked bread slice into the toasted almonds to coat.
- 8Fry the bread slices on both sides until golden.
- 9Sprinkle with confectioners sugar if desired.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Almond French Toast
Serving Size: 1 (229 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1103.1
- Calories from Fat 581
- Total Fat 64.6 g
- Saturated Fat 17.4 g
- Cholesterol 211.5 mg
- Sodium 1252.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 101.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 11.3 g
- Sugars 3.6 g
- Protein 32.8 g