A low-carb, low-glycemic, nutrient-dense food for a quick breakfast or snack. I use blanched almond flour from Honeyville Grain Co. and KAL brand stevia extract powder. The ascorbic acid is unbuffered Vitamin C which acidifies the mix and makes the baking soda react faster. Keep in the refrigerator for a quick on-the-go, Primal snack. Use this similar to quick bread, with jam or cream cheese on top. Leave out the vanilla and add cheese or use similarly to focaccia. Make several times and memorize it, then customize it on the fly!
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt (optional)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ascorbic acid or 1⁄4 teaspoon a splash fresh lemon juice
- 2⁄3 cup blanched almond flour
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄3 cup almond milk, beverage or 1⁄3 cup other non-dairy milk substitute
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)
- stevia powder or other artificial sweetener, to taste
- lemon rind (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400°F Melt butter or oil in a 9-inch pie dish in the oven while it preheats.
- In a medium bowl, mix the dry ingredients. Use 2 of the tiny scoops of KAL brand stevia extract powder or another sweetener in the equivalent of 2 teaspoons of sugar. *Only use salt if you are using unsalted butter or coconut oil. Salted butter will give enough saltiness, so do not add additional salt.
- In a small-medium bowl, wisk the eggs and mix in the milk substitute, and other flavorings.
- Remove the pie plate from the oven and tip the dish to cover the bottom and the bottom corner edge with the grease.
- Quickly pour the liquid into the dry mix and wisk thoroughly but quickly. Immediately pour into the hot greased pie dish and put into the hot oven.
- Bake about 12 minutes or until set in the middle. You might test with a dry knife similar to checking a pumpkin pie, when the knife removed comes out a little wet but no batter sticking to it.