Prep 40 mins
Cook 30 mins
- 1 lb phyllo pastry
For the stuffing
- 2 cups almonds
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- some cinnamon
- some rose water
- peanut oil or olive oil
- orange rind
For the syrup
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup honey
- 1⁄2 lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup almonds, roasted and grated
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Prepare the stuffing.
- Grate the almond kernels and add the sugar and the cinnamon.
- Pour some rosewater, as much as is necessary in order to shape them.
- Cut the phylo into small square pieces approximately 5x8 cm, then moist them with some butter using a brush.
- Place on each square piece one teaspoon of stuffing and roll, folding in the sides.
- (It should look like a cigar) In a large skillet, warm plenty of oil with the orange peel, then once the peel turns dark remove it and fry in a high temperature at first then medium later until the"fingers" turn golden brown.
- Remove them with a fork and place them on absorbent paper and preserve them warm.
- Prepare the syrup.
- Boil in a pot for 5 minutes the sugar with the water then pour the honey with some lemon juice and stir until the honey melts.
- Sink the"fingers" in the warm syrup for a few minutes and remove.
- Combine the almond kernels with the cinnamon.
- Place the"fingers" on a platter and sprinkle the mixture on top.