Recipe by Jostlori
Sweet and crunchy - and looks great on the plate, too! A sweet ending to a Moroccan meal! You can use butter in place of the oils, but watch carefully to prevent burning. It will also alter the taste considerably.
Top Review by Pesto lover
This is a winner! The only change I made was to use melted butter instead of the almond oil, which I didn't want to go hunt for. The flavor is just wonderful and it really was easy to make. Not one piece was left over after the party, though I doubled the recipe. I will probably make this again during the week, just for us. Thanks for sharing the recipe.
- 2⁄3 cup ground almonds
- 1⁄3 cup sliced almonds (sliced)
- 1 1⁄3 cups confectioners' sugar (6 oz)
- 1 egg, separated
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest, finely grated
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 tablespoon rose water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons almond oil
- 9 sheets phyllo pastry
- 1 pinch cinnamon, ground
- confectioners' sugar, for garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F Lightly grease an 8 inch round springform pan.
- Place all of the almonds in a bowl with the confectioners sugar. Put the egg white in a small bowl and lightly beat with a fork. Add to the almonds with the lemon zest, essence and rosewater. Mix to a paste.
- Divide the mixture in to thirds and roll each portion into a sausage shape about 18 inches long and 1/2 inch thick.
- If the paste is too sticky to roll, add some confectioners sugar to the work surface.
- Mix the two oils in a small bowl. Remove 1 sheet of filo and cover the rest with a damp towel to keep from drying out. Brush the sheet of filo with the oils, then cover with 2 more oiled sheets.
- Place 1 almond "snake" along the length of the oiled pastry and roll up to enclose the filling. Form into a coil and place the coil in the center of the oiled pan. Repeat and use oil to join the "snakes" and continue shaping to make a large coil.
- Add the cinnamon to the egg yolk and brush over the snake. Bake for 30 minutes, then remove the side of the pan and turn the snake over. Bake for another 10 minutes to crisp the base.
- Dust with confectioners sugar, cut into wedges and serve warm.
- NOTE: The snake will keep for up to 3 days, but should not be refrigerated.