1 hr 10 mins
Sweet and crunchy - and looks great on the plate, too! A sweet ending to a Moroccan meal! You can use butter in place of the oils, but watch carefully to prevent burning. It will also alter the taste considerably.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2/3 cup ground almonds
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds (sliced)
- 1 1/3 cups confectioners' sugar (6 oz)
- 1 egg, separated
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest, finely grated
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 tablespoon rose water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons almond oil
- 9 sheets phyllo pastry
- 1 pinch cinnamon, ground
- confectioners' sugar, for garnish
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F Lightly grease an 8 inch round springform pan.
- 2Place all of the almonds in a bowl with the confectioners sugar. Put the egg white in a small bowl and lightly beat with a fork. Add to the almonds with the lemon zest, essence and rosewater. Mix to a paste.
- 3Divide the mixture in to thirds and roll each portion into a sausage shape about 18 inches long and 1/2 inch thick.
- 4If the paste is too sticky to roll, add some confectioners sugar to the work surface.
- 5Mix the two oils in a small bowl. Remove 1 sheet of filo and cover the rest with a damp towel to keep from drying out. Brush the sheet of filo with the oils, then cover with 2 more oiled sheets.
- 6Place 1 almond "snake" along the length of the oiled pastry and roll up to enclose the filling. Form into a coil and place the coil in the center of the oiled pan. Repeat and use oil to join the "snakes" and continue shaping to make a large coil.
- 7Add the cinnamon to the egg yolk and brush over the snake. Bake for 30 minutes, then remove the side of the pan and turn the snake over. Bake for another 10 minutes to crisp the base.
- 8Dust with confectioners sugar, cut into wedges and serve warm.
- 9NOTE: The snake will keep for up to 3 days, but should not be refrigerated.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Almond Filo Snake
Serving Size: 1 (66 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 278.6
- Calories from Fat 130
- Total Fat 14.4 g
- Saturated Fat 1.6 g
- Cholesterol 23.2 mg
- Sodium 112.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 33.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 20.1 g
- Protein 4.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: