Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
From Pillsbury Bake-Off. I think this sounds good!!
- 2 2⁄3 cups flour
- 1 1⁄3 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄3 cups butter, softened (do not use margarine)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 cup finely chopped almonds
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 4 whole blanched almonds
- Heat oven to 325.
- Place cookie sheet in oven to preheat.
- Grease 10 or 9 inch springform pan.
- In large bowl, blend all crust ingredients at low speed until dough forms. If desired, refrigerate for easier handling.
- Divide dough in half; spread half in bottom of greased pan to form crust.
- In small bowl, combine all filling ingredients except whole almonds; blend well.
- Spread over crust to within 1/2 inch of sides of pan.
- Between 2 sheets of waxed paper, press remaining dough to 10 or 9 inch circle.
- Remove top sheet of waxed paper; place dough over filling.
- Remove waxed paper; press dough into place.
- Top with whole almonds.
- Place cake on preheated cookie sheet.
- Bake at 325 for 65-75 minutes or until top is light golden brown.
- Cool 15 minutes; remove sides of pan.
- Cool completely.
Holy Cow is this cake good! It's very very rich, but oh so delicious. I recommend putting foil or a cookie sheet blow the baking pan to catch any overflow.