Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Our family's traditional Christmas breakfast bread.
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 cup warm milk (110F, 45C)
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted and cooled
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 1⁄3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 3⁄4 cup finely ground blanched almond
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 egg white, beaten
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1⁄4 cup chopped candied red cherries (optional)
- 2 tablespoons raisins
- 1 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 -2 tablespoon hot water
- 1 -2 tablespoon toasted slivered almonds
- candied red cherries, quartered
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast and 1 tsp sugar in warm milk.
- Let stand 5-10 minutes or until foamy.
- Stir remaining sugar, butter or margarine, salt and egg into yeast mixture until blended.
- Stir in 2 cups flour until combined.
- Stir in enough remaining flour to make a soft dough that comes away from side of bowl.
- On a lightly floured surface, knead in enough remaining flour to make a stiff dough.
- Knead 8-10 minutes or until smooth and elastic.
- Clean and grease bowl.
- Place dough in greased bowl, turning to coat all sides.
- Cover with a lightly damp towel.
- Let rise in a warm place, free from drafts, until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.
- To make filling, in a small bowl, blend ground almonds and sugar.
- Stir in egg white, milk and almond extract until thoroughly blended.
- Set aside.
- Grease a 9" x 5" loaf pan.
- Punch down dough.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to a 12" x 9" rectangle.
- Spread almond mixture over dough to within 1/2 inch of edge.
- Sprinkle chopped cherries and raisins over almond mixture.
- Roll, jelly-roll style, starting at 1 short end.
- Pinch ends to seal.
- Place filled loaf, seam-side down, in greased pan.
- Cover with a dry towel; let rise until doubled in bulk.
- Preheat oven to 375degrees.
- Beat egg with milk to make glaze.
- Brush top of loaf with egg-yolk glaze.
- Bake in preheated oven 35-40 minutes or until top is deep golden brown and loaf sounds hollow when tapped on bottom.
- Remove from pan; cool on a wire rack.
- To make icing, in a small bowl, stir powdered sugar and 1 tbsp water until smooth, adding more water if necessary.
- Spoon icing on top of loaf; decorate loaf with toasted almonds and cherry quarters.
- Let stand until icing is set.