1/12 Photos of Almond 'feta Cheese' Spread With Herb Oil (Vegan)
Wish I Could Cook's Note:
From the Fab Five list in the April 2009 issue of Vegetarian Times. I never thought I'd have enough time to make vegan "cheese," but because this was one of the editors' picks I gave it a shot, and I'm so glad I did! Though it's called "feta cheese," in the title, it really is a creamy spread. I told my DH that it was an "almond spread" and he loved it! Asked what kind of cheese I used in it, and was surprised to learn there was none. The recipe is really easy, but takes lots of waiting time (not included in the times). I'm listing it exactly like in the magazine. But for the oil topping at the end, I think 1/4 cup oil is too much. Personally, I'm cutting it back to 2 tablespoons next time. Enjoy! Edited to add: The original recipe in the magazine says to bake it 200F for 40 minutes, but as several reviewers noted here (and I agree) it's better in a hotter oven. Try 400F and watch for it to brown. Baking is only needed to turn it from creamy to crumbly, so it's completely up to you.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Place almonds in medium bowl and cover with 3 inches of water. Let soak 24 hours. Drain and rinse.
- 2Puree almonds, lemon juice, 3 T olive oil, garlic, salt and 1/2 cup water in blender or food processor for 6 minutes or until really creamy.
- 3Place a triple layer of cheesecloth in strainer and spoon almond mixture onto cheesecloth. Bring sides together twist into an orange-sized ball and secure with a twist tie. Chill for 12 hours.
- 4Line baking sheet with parchment and transfer almond ball from cheesecloth. Shape to look like a 6" round of brie (about 3/4" thick). (Note, I just put it into a pretty pottery bowl and baked it. Then I could pour the oil on top and serve it. No parchment needed.).
- 5Bake 40 minutes or until top is slightly firm. Cool. Then chill.
- 6Combine 1/4 cup olive oil with herbs and heat over medium low heat until heated through but not simmering. Cool to room temperature and drizzle over almond spread just before serving.
- 7Spread on crusty bread or crakers. You'll love it!
Browse Our Top Spreads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Almond 'feta Cheese' Spread With Herb Oil (Vegan)
Serving Size: 1 (31 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 171.1
- Calories from Fat 153
- Total Fat 17.0 g
- Saturated Fat 1.8 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 293.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 3.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 0.8 g
- Protein 3.1 g