Prep 0 mins
Cook 1 hr
A great biscotti recipe and pretty simple compared to some.
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 egg yolk
- 1⁄2 cup coffee, strong and cooled
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3⁄4 cup almonds, toasted and coarsely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350. Grease and flour large baking sheet.
- In large bowl, with electric mixer, gently combine flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and cloves.
- In small blowl, whisk egg yolk, espresso, milk, and vanilla. Add to flour mixture. Beat until dough is formed and stir in toasted almonds and chocolate chips.
- Place dough on floured surface and knead several times, adding flour if needed to prevent sticking. Divide dough in half. With floured hands, form each piece of dough into a flat 2 x 12-inch log. Arrange logs at least 3 inches apart on prepared baking sheet. Bake 35 minutes.
- Cool on baking sheet 10 minutes.
- Reduce oven temperature to 300 degrees. Place logs on cutting board and slice crosswise and diagonally, into 3/4-inch thick slices. Arrange slices on baking sheet and bake 8-10 minutes per side, or until pale golden brown.
- Transfer to rack, cool and store in airtight container up to 1 month.