Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a nice Danish cake....easy and fast.
- 3⁄4 cup finely chopped toasted almond
- 2⁄3 cup sifted all-purpose flour
- 6 large eggs, separated
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 (1/4 ounce) envelope unflavored gelatin
- 1 cup finely chopped toasted almond
- 2 tablespoons cognac
- strawberry (to garnish, or on the side)
- whipped cream (to garnish)
- chocolate shavings (to garnish)
- Tip: To grind almonds use a little of the sugar in a processor with the nuts, as this will prevent the nuts from turning to butter.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease a 9-inch springform pan.
- Combine the flour and the almonds together.
- Beat egg yolks until very thick and pale pale yellow.
- Gradually add the sugar and beat until mixture forms a ribbon.
- Add the nuts and flour.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- Fold the beaten stiff whites into the yolk mixture.
- Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake 45 minutes until just done.
- Use a tester at this point.
- Cool in pan.
- Gently warm 3 tbsp of the cream in a small pot.
- Sprinkle the gelatin over and let stand until lukewarm but not set.
- Whip the remaining cream until soft peaks form.
- Add the warm gelatin mixture, and beat until stiff.
- Fold in the toasted finely chopped almonds, and Cognac.
- Split cooled cake in half.
- Spread half the filling over bottom; replace the top layer and cover all with the remaining cream mixture.
- Garnish with strawberries and shaved chocolate and extra whipped cream.