Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr
This stylish recipe suitable for any dinner party is deceptively easy. Makes an elegant presentation at any holiday as well!
- 3⁄4 cup dried cherries, coarsely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup dried apricot, cut into fine julienne
- 1 cup tawny port
- 1⁄2 cup water
- salt and pepper
- 8 (6 ounce) boneless skinless chicken breast halves, pounded 1/4 inch thick
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped whole blanched almonds or 1⁄2 cup slivered almonds
- 1⁄2 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons chopped shallots
- 1 1⁄2 cups whipping cream
- In small bowl combine cherries, apricots, port and water.
- Cover and set aside 6 hours or overnight.
- Drain liquid into small saucepan.
- Salt and pepper both sides of chicken breasts.
- Spoon about 2 tablespoons fruit onto center of each chicken piece.
- Fold both sides over fruit to overlap, and secure with bamboo skewer or wooden picks.
- Into three shallow bowls place flour, egg and almonds mixed with bread crumbs.
- Thoroughly coat each filled chicken piece with flour, then egg, then almond mixture.
- Place on plate in single layer; cover and refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Heat oven to 375 degrees.
- In 12-inch skillet heat butter and oil over medium heat.
- Pan-fry the chicken bundles, turning once, until well browned, about 5 minutes on each side.
- Transfer to baking sheet and finish cooking in center of oven 8 to 10 minutes, being sure chicken juices run clear.
- Meanwhile, add the shallots to the port mixture and reduce by half over medium-high heat.
- At the same time, in another saucepan, reduce the cream by half.
- Strain the port mixture into the reduced cream.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Ladle hot sauce onto eight serving plates, dividing equally.
- Remove skewers and place chicken on sauce.
- Garnish with mint sprigs, if desired.