Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
The almonds in the crust make this a very elegant dish, good for when royalty comes to visit.
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped almonds
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 6 cups fresh spinach, cleaned and stemmed
- To make the vinaigrette combine the juices in a small bowl.
- Add the olive oil and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper and press the almonds on one side to form a crust.
- Heat the canola oil in a hot pan, add the chicken and cook 3 minutes on each side, or until done.
- Cook the spinach and 1/2 cup of the vinaigrette in a large pan over medium-high heat for 2 minutes, or until the spinach is just wilted.
- Serve each chicken breast on a bed of spinach.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
The cooked spinach with the citrus dressing is an unusual combination but we liked it, it was very refreshing. I had my doubts about the almonds sticking to the chicken because there was no egg for breading, but they stayed on with no problem.
Outstanding. I added Mrs. Dash Lemon Herb to the chicken.Very nutty flavour. Canada Eh!
This was amazing! You can reduce the olive oil in the vinagraitte to 1/2C or 1/4C and still have it taste great; also, you can use any kind of nuts or mixture - I used pine nuts & almonds; unless the chicken is thin (1/4"), cut in 1/2 or finish cooking in oven so crust doesn't get too dark. Loved it! I'm going to try it with salmon next!