Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr
If you're not a traditional pumpkin pie fan or if you're cooking for people who don't care for pumpkin pie, you might want to try this. This is a slightly different and delicious variation on an old traditional holiday dessert. Your dough will turn out better if you put ice cubes in a cup of water and if using butter it's still chilled.
Pastry for single-crust pie
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup shortening or 1⁄3 cup butter
- 4 -5 tablespoons water
- 1⁄4 cup finely chopped almonds or 1⁄4 cup pecans
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon finely shredded orange peel
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 15 ounces pumpkin
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 12 ounces evaporated milk or 1 1⁄2 cups half-and-half or 1 1⁄2 cups light cream
- whipped cream
- Pastry for single-crust pie: Stir together flour and salt.
- Using a pastry blender cut in shortening or butter until pieces are pea size.
- Sprinkle a tablespoon of the water over part of the mixture.
- Gently toss with a fork.
- Push moistened dough to the side of the bowl.
- Repeat moistening dough, using a tablespoon at a time, until all the dough is moistened.
- Form dough into a ball.
- On a lightly floured surface, use your hands to slightly flatten dough.
- Roll dough from center to edges into a circle about 12 inches in diameter.
- To transfer pastry, wrap it around the rolling pin.
- Trim pastry to 1/2 inch beyond edge of pie plate.
- Fold under extra pastry and crimp as desired.
- Do not prick pastry.
- Line pastry with a double thickness of foil and bake pastry shell in a 450 degree oven for 8 minutes.
- Remove foil.
- For the praline layer, in a small mixing bowl stir together almonds or pecans, brown sugar, butter, and orange peel.
- Spoon mixture into the hot partially baked pastry shell, spreading it over the bottom as butter melts.
- Bake for 5 to 6 minutes more or until shell is set and dry and praline is bubbly.
- For filling: Combine eggs, pumpkin, brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger.
- Gradually stir in evaporated milk or cream and mix well.
- Reduce oven temperature to 375 degrees and place partially baked pastry shell on the oven rack.
- Pour pumpkin filling into the pastry shell.
- Remove foil and bake 20 to 25 minutes more or until a knife inserted near center comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack before serving.
- Refrigerate within 2 hours and add cover for longer storage.
- Serve with whipped cream.