Prep 15 mins
Cook 22 mins
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1⁄3 cup almonds, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄4 cup unbleached flour
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 1⁄2 cups unbleached flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
- preheat oven to 400*.
- lightly butter 12 muffin cups with spray.
- to prepare TOPPING:.
- combine the almonds, brown sugar, and flour, stir in melted butter -- set aside.
- to prepare BATTER:.
- combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large bowl -- stir well until blended.
- in a seperate bowl, whisk buttermilk, melted butter, eggs and almond extract.
- add to the dry ingredients all at once and fold just until evenly moistened -- do not overmix.
- divide the batter evenly among the muffin cups.
- press 1 tbls of topping onto each muffin.
- bake until the tops are golden and a toothpick inserted in the centers, comes out clean -- about 22-25 minutes.
- cool in pan on wire rack compeltely before removing from pans.