Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 1 hr
Cook 35 mins
These are nice bar cookies with a chocolate layer and a sort of lattice top. They were a big hit at the dinner party where I served them. Not exactly an everyday cookie (they take too much work), but they're nice if you want to impress your guests. I got this from 1001 Cookie Recipes.
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 cup butter, at room temperature
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons vegetable shortening (I just used more butter)
- 2 teaspoons rum
For the filling
- 5 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 2 large eggs
- 5 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
- 2 cups slivered almonds
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- 5 tablespoons Amaretto
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Lightly grease a 9 x 13 pan.
- For the crust, combine the flour and baking powder.
- Cream the butter and sugar in a large bowl, then beat in the eggs.
- Beat in the vegetable shortening and rum.
- Gradually add the flour mixture.
- Divide the dough into 2 pieces, with one twice as large as the other.
- On a floured surface, roll out the larger piece to a 9 x 13 rectangle. Place the dough in the prepared pan.
- For the filling, melt the chocolate over low heat (a double boiler is good for this). When smooth, remove from heat.
- Lightly beat the eggs in a large bowl. Beat in the sugar.
- Beat in the melted chocolate and almond extract. Stir in the nuts.
- Spread the chocolate filling over the crust in the pan.
- Roll the remaining dough into 1/4 inch thick rectangle.
- Cut into 1/2 inch wide strips and arrange in a lattice pattern over the chocolate.
- Bake for 25-35 minutes, or until the lattice is golden.
- Sprinkle the Amaretto over the hot cookies.
- Let cool slightly in the pan before cutting into bars.