Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 mins
This is a nice desert, easy to make. The kids love it. This does need to chill for 3 hours. Posted for World Zaar Tour 05
- Note: Cook time is the chill time.
- Measure cold water into small bowl. Sprinkle gelatin over cold water. Let stand for 1 minute.
- Add sugar to gelatin mixture.
- Stir until gelatin dissolves.
- Pour boiling water into medium bowl.
- Stir in gelatin mixture.
- Combine milk, vanilla and almond extract. Stir milk mixture into gelatin mixture.
- Divide mixture between four serving dishes. Refrigerate until set, about 3 hours.
- Pare and slice kiwis.
- Arrange kiwi slices and strawberries over each dessert.
- Gelatin equivalents are One envelope of plain granulated gelatin = 1/4 ounce = 1 tablespoon, enough to gel two cups liquid.
- Sometimes I substitute vanilla sugar for the sugar. This can be found in most European or gourmet markets. Or, make it yourself by combining two whole vanilla beans and sugar in a canister. The ratio of sugar to beans depends on how strong it is as well as how long you let it sit.
This is a light version of panna cotta. Hits the spot on a hot day when you want something a little sweet but not heavy or filling.
Quite unusual but lovely dessert. Though the consistency was that of a soft gelatin, the taste was like a light custard. Nice ending to a Chinese meal. I made mine with Splenda and non-fat evaporated milk. To add a bit more body to the milk, I added a tablespoon of non-fat dry milk powder. Thanks Amis.