Recipe by BonnieZ
This dessert is simple in preparation but elegant on presentation, and quite yummy. The recipe is always requested when I serve it.
Top Review by Nanners
I've been making this exact recipe for a few years - I found it in the Ravinia Festival cookbook. People are always so impressed at the presentation. I made 3 of these in place of a cake for a wedding shower brunch and it was a big hit. Next time I make it I'll try the almonds on top. I usually sift powdered sugar over it, but I like the almond idea. Thanks for posting!!
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 cup sifted flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) package vanilla instant pudding mix
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk
- 1 cup heavy cream, whipped
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1⁄2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons milk
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons white corn syrup
- 4 ounces sliced almonds, toasted
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- In medium saucepan over high heat, heat 1 cup of water with 1/2 cup of butter until mixture boils.
- Turn heat to low and add 1 cup of sifted flour and 1/4 tsp salt.
- Stir vigorously over low heat until dough leaves the side of the pan in a smooth compact ball about 1 minute.
- Quickly transfer dough to a large bowl and with electric mixer at medium speed, beat in 4 eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Continue beating until dough is smooth and satiny.
- On lightly floured cookie sheet, using a dinner plate as a guide, trace a circle.
- Drop heaping measuring tablespoons full of dough just inside the circle to form a ring, making sure each dropful touches the one next to it (this is what will hold your ring together once baked).
- Bake 40 minutes or until golden brown and firm.
- Turn oven heat off and allow puff ring to rest in the oven 15 minutes.
- Then place on a rack to cool way from any draft.
- Once cool, CAREFULLY cut ring in half and remove soft interior with a spoon and discard, leaving the hollowed shell.
- Combine pudding mix and 1 1/4 cups milk in medium bowl and mix for 3 minutes, then refrigerate 30 minutes until set.
- Remove pudding from frige and gradually fold in the whipped cream and almond extract.
- Fill bottom shell with pudding mixture and set top shell in place.
- In double boiler, over hot (not boiling) water, melt the chocolate chips with 1 tbsp of butter, 1 1/2 tsp milk and 1 1/2 tsp corn syrup until smooth.
- Spread on top of cream puff ring and immediately sprinkle with the toasted sliced almonds so they adhere to the chocolate then refrigerate.
- To serve, slice the ring into individual cream puff portions& enjoy.