Recipe by HokiesMom
From Ocean Spray flyer. It has been a many years since I've made this bread but my notes say it is yummy! My notes also say I added a 1/4 cup of chopped almonds to the batter and then used another 1/4 cup of sliced/slivered almonds for the topping. So I've adjusted the original to include this but feel free to leave the chopped almonds out of the batter itself. **Updated 12/7/11 - I've adjusted the bake time for this bread. The original times were definitely too long for this quick bread **
Top Review by Outta Here
A nice balance of sweet and tart. I used almonds in and on top, but will skip the ones on top next time, as they just fall off when slicing. The almond extract gives this a nice flavor. The bake time was a little long. I took mine out after 55 minutes, but it would depend on your oven. Mine may run hot.
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 cup 1% low-fat milk
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
- 1⁄4 cup almonds, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups fresh cranberries (may use frozen ones too, just do not thaw before use)
- 1 tablespoon sugar (additional)
- 1⁄4 cup almonds (slivered or sliced)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375F and grease a 8x4x2" loaf pan.
- Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt in a medium bowl.
- Combine the egg, milk, butter, and almond extract in a separate bowl.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, mixing just until moistened (do not overmix).
- Stir in chopped almonds and cranberries.
- Spread batter in loaf pan and then sprinkle with additional 1 tbls. sugar and then the slivered or sliced almonds.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- REDUCE heat to 350F and bake for an additional 20-30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Let cool 10-15 minutes before removing from pan to wire rack.