Recipe by Annacia
The addition of almond paste gives this loaf a tender moistness; it's also a good complement to the nutty flavor of cracked wheat. The almond flavor isn't strong, but adds a delicate hint of sweetness. Baking time is however long your bread machine takes.
Top Review by loof
This is a nice flavorful bread! The almond is very subtle and is a nice complement to the nutty cracked wheat. The bulgar stayed quite chewy/crunchy even after baking so I might let it soak a bit in the water before adding the other ingredients next time. I made this using a stand mixer, let it rise for an hour in the bowl and an hour in the loaf pan, then baked for 40 minutes at 350. Great hearty bread - thanks for sharing the recipe!
- 1 1⁄8 cups water
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons almond paste (*)
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 3⁄4 cup cracked wheat or 3⁄4 cup bulgur
- 3⁄4 cup 100% white wheat flour
- 2 cups unbleached bread flour
- 3 tablespoons nonfat dry milk powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons regular instant yeast
Directions See How It's Made
- *If you don't have access to prepared almond paste, substitute 1/4 cup blanched slivered almonds ground to a paste with 1 tablespoon sugar.
- Place all of the ingredients into the pan of your bread machine, program the machine for Basic White Bread, and press Start.
- Check the dough after 10 to 15 minutes of kneading; it should have formed a smooth ball, soft but not sticky.
- If necessary, adjust the dough's consistency with additional flour or water. Yield: one 7 to 8-inch loaf.