Recipe by Baby Kato
This is the perfect choice for a elegant dinner party. This cake is being posted in honor of my friend Anna...The Brew Mistress. I hope you all enjoy this delicious cake.
Top Review by Annacia
BK, you adorable little witch, you've cast one impressive spell with this creation! You know that I had to reduce the numbers as much as I could but even with using graham cracker crumbs in place of the cookies (to lessen sugar content), non-hydrogenated margarine, low fat cream cheese, Splenda and egg whites (no yolks) this is a very rich tasting, creamy, smooth and elegant cheesecake. My only problem was that the crust wanted to crumble even though I added more margarine. That might not be the case if the cookie crumbs are used. Love the crunch of the almond bits in the crust, they are a lovely counter point the the smoothness of the filling. Yule Blessings and peace to your heart my friend, and thank you.
- 1 3⁄4 cups chocolate wafer cookies, crushed
- 3 tablespoons almonds, chopped, toasted
- 5 -6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon coffee, instant, strong
- 24 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 3⁄4 cup sugar, vanilla
- 1⁄4 cup whipping cream
- 5 teaspoons cornstarch
- 4 eggs, large fresh
- 1 egg yolk
- 1⁄4 cup Amaretto
- 2 tablespoons Amaretto
- 1 teaspoon almond extract, pure
- 1 teaspoon water, hot
- 3⁄4 teaspoon instant coffee, strong
- 1⁄4 cup coffee liqueur, Kahula
- 1 cup whipped cream, garnish
- 1⁄4 cup almonds, toasted, sliced, garnish
Directions See How It's Made
- Chocolate Wafer Crust.
- In a small bowl combine crushed wafers, almonds, butter and instant coffee together, until well mixed.
- Press the crumb mixture into the bottom of a greased 9" springform pan and set aside until needed.
- Almond Coffee Filling.
- Combine cream cheese, sugar and cornstarch in a large bowl, and with an electric mixer beat till smooth.
- Add the eggs and yolk, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Split the batter into two bowls equally.
- In one bowl add the amaretto and almond extract, mix well and set aside.
- Stir together the instant coffee and hot water, mix with the Kahlua then add to the remaining cheese mixture, blending well.
- Pour half of the amaretto mixture over the chocolate wafer crust. Spoon half of the coffee mixture over the amaretto mixture.
- Now pour the remaining amaretto mixture over the coffee mixture. Top with the remaining coffee mixture.
- Without scraping the crust, swirl the blade of a knife thru the cake to create a marbling effect.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes. Lower the temperature to 200 and continue baking for 1 hour and 20 minutes, or until the center no longer looks shiney or wet.
- Individual ovens vary -- please make sure that the cake center no longer looks wet or shiney, before returning to oven.
- Remove the cake from the oven and run a knife around the inside edge of the pan.
- Turn the oven off and return the cake to the oven for an additional hour, then chill uncovered overnight.
- Serve garnished with whipped cream and sliced almonds.