Recipe by s'kat
This is nice almond-spiked coffee cake that gets better the longer it sits. Make at least one day before serving.
- 4 ounces almond paste (I use marzipan)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 eggs
- 3⁄4 cup low-fat milk
- 3 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1⁄4 cup sliced toasted almond
- confectioners' sugar (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 cup Amaretto (see note)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350-degrees.
- Generously grease and flour a tube pan.
- You can also use a 9X5-inch loaf pan, a 9-inch springform pan, bundt or kugelhupf cake mold.
- Cake: In a bowl, cream the almond paste with sugar and butter.
- As the almond paste breaks up, add the vanilla, eggs and milk.
- Blend well and fold in the flour, salt, baking powder and cornstarch to make a thick but fluffy batter.
- If serving cake bottom side up, sprinkle the almonds into the bottom of the pan here.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared pan.
- Sprinkle the almonds on top, otherwise.
- Bake 50-55 minutes.
- The cake should be evenly golden brown and slightly cracked.
- When completely cool, dust with the confectioners' sugar, if using.
- Or, alternatively, poke holes into the top of the cake and drizzle on the Amaretto glaze.
- (I used the glaze, and then dusted confectioners' sugar on top.).
- Glaze: Stir together the water and sugar in a small saucepan.
- Set on low heat to dissolve the sugar.
- Stir in the liqueur, heat for 2-3 minutes more.
- Cool slightly.
- NOTE: You can replace the liqueur with an additional 1/4 cup water combined with 1/2 teaspoon almond extract.