Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr
A coffee cake lightly spiced with nutmeg and mace and topped with almonds. So good it will make your friends feel welcome and warm inside with a cup of coffee.
- 2 cups flour
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground mace
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄3 cup butter or 1⁄3 cup margarine, softened
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup chopped raisins
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated lemon, rind of
- 1⁄2 cup slivered almonds
- light corn syrup
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease 9-inch layer cake pan.
- In medium bowl, stir flour, baking powder, salt, nutmeg and mace.
- In large bowl with electric mixer, beat eggs, sugar and butter until blended.
- Stir in half of flour mixture.
- Stir in milk, raisins, lemon peel and ¼ cup almonds.
- Add remaining flour mixture and beat for 2 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally.
- Pour into prepared pan.
- Sprinkle remaining ¼ cup almonds decoratively around edge of batter.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes or until cake tester inserted comes out clean.
- Cool in pan on wire rack for 10 minutes.
- Remove cake from pan and cool completely on wire rack.
- While warm, lightly brush top with corn syrup.