Be prepared everyone will be asking you for this recipe after they try it! the cake can be made without the almond extract but I think it is better with it.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 5 eggs, separated
- 2 cups white sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup Crisco shortening (plain)
- 1 -2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup flaked coconut, packed
- 1 cup chopped nuts
- 1Set oven to 350°F.
- 2Grease and flour three (8-inch) cake pans and line bottoms with parchment paper.
- 3In a medium bowl, beat egg whites until stiff, but not dry; set aside.
- 4In another bowl, cream butter, Crisco and sugar until fluffy (about 4-5 minutes).
- 5Add in yolks (one at a time) beating well after each addition.
- 6In a bowl, sift flour and baking soda together.
- 7Add to the egg yolk mixture alternating with buttermilk.
- 8Add in coconut and nuts; beat well.
- 9Fold in beaten egg whites with a spatula.
- 10Divide the batter evenly between the three cake pans.
- 11Bake for 25 minutes, or until cake tests done.
- 12Place the pans on a wire rack to cool.
- 13Run a dinner knife around the edges of each layer, and invert each onto a rack, then invert them again onto another rack so layers are right side up.
- 14Allow to cool completely before frosting.
- 15For frosting: Cream together the cream cheese and butter until fluffy.
- 16Gradually beat in the powdered sugar (this takes about 5 minutes).
- 17To achieve the spreading consistency you desire, you may need to add 2-3 tablespoons of half and half cream and 1-1/2 cups of ADDITIONAL powdered sugar.
- 18Stir in 3/4 cup coconut and 3/4 cups pecans.
- 19Frost and fill cake.
- 20Sprinkle the top with reserved coconut.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Almond Coconut 3-Layer Cake With Coconut Frosting
Serving Size: 1 (244 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1177.0
- Calories from Fat 578
- Total Fat 64.2 g
- Saturated Fat 31.6 g
- Cholesterol 225.6 mg
- Sodium 643.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 140.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.3 g
- Sugars 104.8 g
- Protein 14.9 g