Recipe by Southern Polar Bear
This is a recipe for one of King Arthur Flour's best-selling cookies. They are chewy-crisp cookie with an intense almond flavor.
- 10 ounces almond paste
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1⁄8 teaspoon extra-strong bitter almond oil or 1⁄8 teaspoon lemon oil (optional) or 1⁄8 teaspoon orange oil (optional)
- confectioners' sugar or glazing sugar, for topping
- Preheat the oven to 325°F.
- Lightly grease (or line with parchment) two baking sheets.
- Blend the almond paste and sugar until the mixture forms fine crumbs; this is best done in a stand mixer.
- Add the egg whites gradually, while mixing, to make a smooth paste.
- Stir in the flavorings.
- Scoop the dough by heaping tablespoons onto the prepared pans.
- Sprinkle the cookies heavily with confectioners' sugar, then use three fingers to press an indentation into the center of each cookie.
- Bake the cookies for 20 to 25 minutes, until they're brown around the edges. Remove them from the oven, and let them cool right on the pan.