Recipe by ChipotleChick
I have not tried this recipe myself, but got it from a friend that has impeccable taste in desserts, so I am sure it's yummy!
Top Review by RSL
This was the best of these that I have found yet. I subbed 1/4 c. cocoa for 1/4 c. of the flour in the cake, and cut the boiling water to 3/4 c. This made the cake extra chocolatey and the sauce more like pudding instead of as thin as some I've tried. My batter was not stiff at all, but it still baked up well in about 30 min. Yummy!
- nonstick cooking spray
- 1 1⁄3 cups sugar
- 1 cup unsifted flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1⁄4 cup oil
- 1⁄2 cup low-fat milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup boiling water
Directions See How It's Made
- Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 350 degrees.
- Coat an 8x8 baking pan with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine 2/3 cups of the sugar, all the flour, salt, and baking powder.
- Stir well to blend.
- Whisk in the oil, milk, and both extracts.
- Batter will be stiff.
- Scrape batter into oiled pan and smooth on top.
- In a small bowl, stir together the cocoa and remaining 2/3 cup sugar.
- Sprinkle this over the batter.
- Pour the boiling water over the batter, do not stir!
- Bake 25 to 35 minutes, or until top of cake looks crisp and crackled.
- Cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes.
- Serve warm.