Prep 15 mins
Cook 55 mins
It's a cross between a cookie and a slice of coffeecake with a hint of Scandinavian tradition.
Make and share this Almond Chocolate Chip Bars recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
- 1 egg
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup semi-sweet real chocolate chips
- 1⁄2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1⁄3 cup sliced almonds
- Heat oven to 350°F
- Combine sugar, 1/2 cup butter and almond extract in large mixer bowl.
- Beat at medium speed, scraping bowl often, until creamy.
- Add egg; mix well.
- Reduce speed to low; add flour, baking powder and salt.
- Beat, scraping bowl often, until well mixed.
- Stir in chocolate chips by hand.
- Spread batter into greased 8-inch square baking pan.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until edges are golden brown.
- Cool completely.
- Combine powdered sugar, 1 tablespoon butter and milk in small bowl; mix well.
- Spread over cooled bars.
- Sprinkle with almonds; press lightly into glaze.
There's no brown sugar in this recipe, and I was sure I would miss it, but the flavor and texture were great. Slightly different than your average cookie or cookie bar. I doubled the recipe, and cooked it in my "all edges" pan for 30-35 minutes. When the tops were lightly golden, then cooled, they sliced neatly, and presented well.
Very tasty bars. A nice change from regular chocolate chip cookie bars. Loved the combination of chocolate and almond. Thanks for posting this Mom2Rose! Made for Bargain Basement Tag.