1/1 Photo of Almond Chocolate Cake (No Flour)
1 hr 18 mins
A decadent brownie like TOH recipe that does not use flour! Its creator, Peggy Gwillim, says it is gluten free. Serve with ice cream or alone. A strawberry or raspberry syrup with fresh berries looks and tastes great also. This is baked in a spring form pan. Tastes best if chilled day before. Freezes well. Notice the review from Chef #1236316 who subbed in 2 cups of almond meal for the 2 1/2 cups of almonds which is fine with me. Also notice Chef#1213645 review about subbing in an equivalent amount of raw honey for the sugar which is also fine with me.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 eggs, separated
- 2 1/2 cups blanched almonds, toasted
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3 ounces semisweet chocolate, grated
- 1/4 cup brewed espresso, cold
- 2 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 tablespoon instant espresso granules
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- confectioners' sugar (optional)
- chocolate curls (optional)
- coffee beans (optional)
- 1Place egg whites in a small mixing bowl, let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes-save yolks for step 6.
- 2Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine almonds and 2 tablespoons of sugar; using a food processor put small amounts of this mixture into processor, cover and process until ground--you want this to be fine textured.
- 3Set aside.
- 4In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and remaining sugar until light and fluffy.
- 5Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 6Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- 7Beat in the chocolate, espresso, cocoa, orange juice, espresso granules, vanilla, and reserved almond mixture.
- 8Beat reserved egg whites on high until stiff peaks form.
- 9Fold egg whites into the batter.
- 10Pour into a greased 9 inch spring form pan.
- 11Place pan on a baking sheet.
- 12Bake at 350 degrees for 42 to 48 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched.
- 13Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes.
- 14Carefully run a knife around edge of pan to loosen; cool completely.
- 15Garnish with confectioners' sugar, chocolate curls, and coffee beans if desired.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Almond Chocolate Cake (No Flour)
Serving Size: 1 (106 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 411.1
- Calories from Fat 268
- Total Fat 29.8 g
- Saturated Fat 9.2 g
- Cholesterol 113.3 mg
- Sodium 111.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 31.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.5 g
- Sugars 24.7 g
- Protein 10.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: