A decadent brownie like TOH recipe that does not use flour! Its creator, Peggy Gwillim, says it is gluten free. Serve with ice cream or alone. A strawberry or raspberry syrup with fresh berries looks and tastes great also. This is baked in a spring form pan. Tastes best if chilled day before. Freezes well. Notice the review from Chef #1236316 who subbed in 2 cups of almond meal for the 2 1/2 cups of almonds which is fine with me. Also notice Chef#1213645 review about subbing in an equivalent amount of raw honey for the sugar which is also fine with me.
- 6 eggs, separated
- 2 1⁄2 cups blanched almonds, toasted
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 3 ounces semisweet chocolate, grated
- 1⁄4 cup brewed espresso, cold
- 2 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 tablespoon instant espresso granules
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- confectioners' sugar (optional)
- chocolate curls (optional)
- coffee beans (optional)
- Place egg whites in a small mixing bowl, let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes-save yolks for step 6.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine almonds and 2 tablespoons of sugar; using a food processor put small amounts of this mixture into processor, cover and process until ground--you want this to be fine textured.
- Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and remaining sugar until light and fluffy.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Beat in the chocolate, espresso, cocoa, orange juice, espresso granules, vanilla, and reserved almond mixture.
- Beat reserved egg whites on high until stiff peaks form.
- Fold egg whites into the batter.
- Pour into a greased 9 inch spring form pan.
- Place pan on a baking sheet.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 42 to 48 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched.
- Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes.
- Carefully run a knife around edge of pan to loosen; cool completely.
- Garnish with confectioners' sugar, chocolate curls, and coffee beans if desired.