1/1 Photo of Almond Chocolate Cake (No Flour)
1 hr 18 mins
A decadent brownie like TOH recipe that does not use flour! Its creator, Peggy Gwillim, says it is gluten free. Serve with ice cream or alone. A strawberry or raspberry syrup with fresh berries looks and tastes great also. This is baked in a spring form pan. Tastes best if chilled day before. Freezes well. Notice the review from Chef #1236316 who subbed in 2 cups of almond meal for the 2 1/2 cups of almonds which is fine with me. Also notice Chef#1213645 review about subbing in an equivalent amount of raw honey for the sugar which is also fine with me.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 eggs, separated
- 2 1/2 cups blanched almonds, toasted
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3 ounces semisweet chocolate, grated
- 1/4 cup brewed espresso, cold
- 2 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 tablespoon instant espresso granules
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- confectioners' sugar (optional)
- chocolate curls (optional)
- coffee beans (optional)
- 1Place egg whites in a small mixing bowl, let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes-save yolks for step 6.
- 2Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine almonds and 2 tablespoons of sugar; using a food processor put small amounts of this mixture into processor, cover and process until ground--you want this to be fine textured.
- 3Set aside.
- 4In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and remaining sugar until light and fluffy.
- 5Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 6Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- 7Beat in the chocolate, espresso, cocoa, orange juice, espresso granules, vanilla, and reserved almond mixture.
- 8Beat reserved egg whites on high until stiff peaks form.
- 9Fold egg whites into the batter.
- 10Pour into a greased 9 inch spring form pan.
- 11Place pan on a baking sheet.
- 12Bake at 350 degrees for 42 to 48 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched.
- 13Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes.
- 14Carefully run a knife around edge of pan to loosen; cool completely.
- 15Garnish with confectioners' sugar, chocolate curls, and coffee beans if desired.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Almond Chocolate Cake (No Flour)
Serving Size: 1 (106 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 411.1
- Calories from Fat 268
- Total Fat 29.8 g
- Saturated Fat 9.2 g
- Cholesterol 113.3 mg
- Sodium 111.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 31.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.5 g
- Sugars 24.7 g
- Protein 10.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: