I have been making this recipe for years, and use it to teach high school students knife skills and cooking sequencing. It is easy to prepare even for a novice cook, easy to use substitutions, well-liked and healthy.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Measure and prepare all ingredients prior to beginning to cook.
- 2Slice chicken breasts into bite-size pieces, set aside.
- 3Drain bamboo shoots.
- 4Cut celery on the bias.
- 5Slice mushrooms.
- 6Cut onion into 8ths- separate pieces.
- 7Mince fresh ginger root and garlic together, set aside.
- 8At about 350F, toast almonds for about 2 minutes.
- 9Set aside.
- 10Stir together the broth & soy sauce.
- 11In a separate bowl, stir together the water and corn starch.
- 12At medium high heat, heat oil and salt in wok until hot.
- 13Add salt, stir to dissolve.
- 14Stir in garlic and ginger, cook about 10 seconds.
- 15If you scorch these, turn off heat, dump and re-do this step.
- 16Add chicken.
- 17Cook and stir until almost done, about 5 minutes.
- 18Add onions, red pepper and celery, stir for about 1 minute, then add mushrooms.
- 19Cook and stir another minute.
- 20Add bamboo shoots.
- 21Stir in broth mixture, cover and reduce heat.
- 22Simmer about 3-5 minutes, or until vegetables are done.
- 23Stir in water-cornstarch mixture, heat until thickened.
- 24Top with toasted almonds, serve over rice.
Browse Our Top Chicken Breast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Almond Chicken Vegetable Stir Fry
Serving Size: 1 (268 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 285.6
- Calories from Fat 160
- Total Fat 17.8 g
- Saturated Fat 2.0 g
- Cholesterol 36.2 mg
- Sodium 743.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.8 g
- Sugars 4.4 g
- Protein 19.5 g