Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
A lightly flavored and delicate soup from the Southern chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947.
- 1⁄2 cup almonds, chopped very finely
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon onion juice
- 1 bay leaf, crushed fine
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 3 cups milk
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup cream or 1 cup evaporated milk
- Add almonds to chicken broth; season with onion juice and bay leaf.
- Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Combine flour and butter; add to broth, stirring constantly until boiling point is reached.
- Add milk and cream or evaporated milk and season to taste.