Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
- 5 cups boneless skinless chicken breasts (diced)
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 cup plain yogurt
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 3⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 3 teaspoons chopped onions
- 4 cups cooked rice
- 8 ounces sliced water chestnuts
- 1 1⁄2 cups sliced almonds
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 2⁄3 cup butter
- 3 cups corn flakes
- Heat oven to 350°F degrees.
- Mix chicken, mayonnaise, yogurt, soup, broth, pepper, salt, lemon juice, onion, rice, water chestnuts, 1 C. almonds, and celery together.
- Put into a lg. buttered casserole dish.
- Mix remaining almonds, butter, and corn flakes together and top casserole with mixture.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes.
This was a very tasty casserole! I didn't have corn flakes so I used 1 cup of corn flake crumbs in it's place. Also, I didn't have any plain yogurt so I subsituted sour cream in it's place. This made a very large casserole. I think it would serve more like 6 to 8 people or more(assuming that you'd serve something besides the casserole. :o) ). I think that this would be a good casserole to take to a pot luck dinner due to the high calorie count - I don't think that my jeans could take it if I made it just for myself again. LOL. I liked the various textures in this recipe and I will definitely make this again and share it with my skinny friends!
I cut the amounts back a lot, and it still barely fit in my largest casserole and gave us enough for six servings. This was really different, but tasty. Something I'll probably make again when I find myself with way too many almonds like I did this weekend.
I made several adjustments to this recipe to reduce the fat and calories and it is still really good. I used light mayo, fat-free yogurt and reduced fat soup. I reduced the corn flakes to 1 cup and used 4 tbsp melted butter which I drizzled on top of the almond and crumb mixture. I am taking this to a pot luck today and can't wait to see how people like it.