Recipe by JenSmith
This is a great stir-fry recipe from Southern Living, January 1986. You need a wok for this recipe.
Top Review by *Pixie*
We really enjoyed this, a lovely combo of flavours. I garnished the top with extra sliced almonds - delish. I made a few minor mods to make it compatible with the South Beach diet. I also used a nonstick wok so I could get away with a bit less oil.
- 1 egg white
- 14.79 ml soy sauce
- 4.92 ml cornstarch
- 4.92 ml sugar
- 0.59 ml salt
- 0.59 ml white pepper
- 680.38 g boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 59.14 ml peanut oil or 59.14 ml vegetable oil, divided, plus
- 29.58 ml peanut oil
- 56.69 g package slivered almonds
- 226.79 g cansliced bamboo shoots, drained
- 3 green onions with tops, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium green pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 14.79 ml peanut oil or 14.79 ml vegetable oil
- 4.92 ml soy sauce
- 9.85-14.78 ml grated fresh gingerroot
- 9.85 ml white wine
- green onion top (to garnish) (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combe first 6 ingredients, stirring well. Add chicken pieces; mix well and refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Pour 1/4 cup oil around top of preheated wok; allow to heat at hight (350F) for 1 minute. Add chicken, and stir-fry for 5 minutes, or until lightly browned. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels.
- Pour 2 TB oil around top of wok; heat at medium high (325F) for 30 seconds. Add almonds, and stir-fry 2 minutes or until golden brown. Remove and drain on paper towels. Add bambo shoots, green onions, and green pepper to wok. Stir-fry 1-2 minutes or until crisp-tender. (Add additional oil, if needed.).
- Combe 1 TB oil, 1 TB soy sauce, gingerroot, and wine, mixing well. Add this mixture to the wok. Bring to a boil. Add chicken and almonds; stir-fry 30 seconds or until thoroughly heated. Garnish with green onion tops, if desired. Serve immediately.