Prep 1 hr
Cook 0 mins
This Cantonese restaurant favorite is easy enough to make at home
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 egg white
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 5 slices fresh gingerroot
- 3 green onions, chopped in 1-inch lengths
- 1 green pepper, chopped in 1-inch pieces
- 1⁄2 cup diced whole bamboo shoot
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice wine or 1 tablespoon dry sherry
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1⁄3 cup crisp almonds, see below
- 4 cups oil
- Dice chicken into 1-inch cubes. Combine marinade ingredients in a medium bowl.
- Add diced chicken; mix well. Let stand 30 minutes.
- Heat oil in a wok over high heat 30 seconds.
- Add chicken to oil.
- Stir fry 30 seconds unti lightly browned.
- Remove chicken with a slotted spoon; drain well and set aside.
- Remove oil from wok except 2 tablespoons.
- Reheat oil over medium heat 30 seconds.
- Stir-fry ginger slices 30 seconds, remove and discard.
- Add green onion, green pepper and bamboo shoots to oil.
- Stir-fry for 1 or 2 minutes until vegetables are crisp-tender.
- Combine ingredients for seasoning sauce in a small bowl; mix well and add to wok.
- Bring to a boil. Add chicken to boiling sauce.
- Stir-fry until chicken is coated with sauce.
- Add almonds; mix well and serve hot.
- CRISP ALMONDS:.
- 4 cups oil for deep frying.
- 1 cup blanched almond havles.
- Heat the oil, add nuts and stir 2 to 3 minutes until golden brown. Remove and drain and use in your dish.
Outstanding! I prepared this recipe, as I always do before rating, precisely as described on the published version. Anything else, it seems to me, is not a "fair" rating. Why would you ever again order this Cantonese favorite at a restaurant, when Lolly has shared her recipe with us? She's an accomplished chef: Please, please check "her page" and view all of her "published" recipes. Lolly: Thanks for your recipe!