Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
Adopted in the Great RecipeZaar Adoption of 2005. Hope to make and update soon.
- 3 chicken breasts, boned and sliced
- 4 tablespoons almonds, chopped
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 egg white
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon Chinese wine or 1 tablespoon sherry wine
- 4 tablespoons water
- Marinate chicken for 20 minutes, drain and set aside.
- Mix chopped almonds with corn starch.
- Beat egg white and dip in chicken.
- Preheat oil to 350F in a deep fryer or large saucepan.
- Roll chicken pieces in cornstarch mixture and deep fry until golden brown.
Made this exactly to recipe specifications. Did double the almond and cornstarch mixture and was glad I did otherwise I wouldn't have had enough. Served it with Mean Chef's Perfect Rice Everytime #53520. Made some chicken gravy also so it was like the almond chicken in Chinese restaurants. Very good, although with the deep frying, I would eat it in moderation.
The recipe doesn't tell you how thickly to slice the chicken - as a result, I sliced mine pretty thinly, and quickly ran out of the coating. I got a few nicely coated and cooked pieces, though, and got an okay photo of them which I've uploaded. I think that using a food processor to finely chop the almonds could be a good idea. If you don't chop them finely enough, they won't stick well. The marinade could use some more flavor. I think that some minced green onion and garlic would help. And freshly ground black pepper. The recipe is good. I think with more edits and additional flavor it could be a 5-star recipe! :)