Recipe by s'kat
An oriental-styled fragrant chicken meal: no more take-out! Prep time includes marination time.
Top Review by Gina Rivera
I have a favorite Chinese takeout and my husband ALWAYS orders Almond Chicken.This was dead on and above. MUCH fresher and taster than takeout. I did marinate it for about 2 hours, and instead of vegtable oil used peanut oil (higher smoking point). Fantastic recipe.
- 1 lb skinless chicken breast half
- 1 cup peanut oil
- 5 slices fresh gingerroot
- 3 green onions, chopped to about 1-inch lengths
- 1 green pepper, chopped as above
- 1⁄2 cup diced bamboo shoot
- 1⁄3 cup slivered almonds
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon dry sherry
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cornstarch
Directions See How It's Made
- Dice chicken into 1 inch cubes.
- Combine marinade ingredients, add chicken and mix well.
- Let stand 1/2 hour.
- Heat oil in wok, add chicken and stir fry until browned.
- Remove chicken and drain well.
- Stir fry ginger, onion, pepper and bamboo shoots for about 1 minute, until vegetables are crisp-tender.
- Combine ingredients for seasoning sauce in a small bowl, mix well and add to wok.
- Bring to boil.
- Add chicken to boiling sauce.
- Stir fry chicken until coated with sauce.
- Add almonds, mix well and serve hot.
- Deep fry slivered almonds in vegetable oil for 2 to 3 minutes to crisp them up.
- Drain well on paper towel.
- Let stand for 5 minutes before using.