A 'modern' German dessert recipe. From A Taste of Germany.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- butter, for preparing the ramekins
- sugar, for preparing ramekins
- 1 1/2 cups sour pitted cherries
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 5 large egg whites, room temperature
- 1/4 cup sugar
Warm Chocolate Sauce
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F Butter and sugar 6 8-ounce ramekins, place on a baking sheet, and set aside.
- 2Combine cherries, lemon juice and almond extract in a blender and puree until very smooth and almost fluffy. Transfer to a medium bowl and set aside.
- 3In a large, clean, metal bowl, beat egg whites on medium speed until very soft peaks form. Continue to beat while slowly adding sugar in a steady stream. Beat until peaks are stiff but not dry. Use a rubber spatula to beat one-third of egg whites into cherry puree. Gently fold puree into remaining egg whites. Divide this mixture among ramekins and smooth the tops. Bake just until well-risen and beginning to brown, 12 to 14 minutes.
- 4To serve, immediately bring soufflés to the table. Pass around warm chocolate sauce, so that each person may split his soufflé in the middle and spoon in sauce if desired.
- 5For warm chocolate sauce: Heat 2 or 3 inches of water in a small saucepan to a low simmer. Combine chocolate with butter and heavy cream in a heatproof bowl that fits over saucepan — bowl should not touch water. Stir until chocolate melts. Remove from heat and stir well until smooth; serve immediately. (Sauce may be reheated by setting it over simmering water as in preparation.).
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Almond-Cherry Souffles With Warm Chocolate Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (148 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 300.1
- Calories from Fat 197
- Total Fat 21.9 g
- Saturated Fat 13.5 g
- Cholesterol 28.8 mg
- Sodium 100.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.4 g
- Sugars 8.9 g
- Protein 6.8 g