Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 20 mins
Cook 14 mins
A 'modern' German dessert recipe. From A Taste of Germany.
Make and share this Almond-Cherry Souffles With Warm Chocolate Sauce recipe from Food.com.
- butter, for preparing the ramekins
- sugar, for preparing ramekins
- 1 1⁄2 cups sour pitted cherries
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 5 large egg whites, room temperature
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
Warm Chocolate Sauce
- 5 ounces coarsely chopped semisweet chocolate, use a premium brand
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350°F Butter and sugar 6 8-ounce ramekins, place on a baking sheet, and set aside.
- Combine cherries, lemon juice and almond extract in a blender and puree until very smooth and almost fluffy. Transfer to a medium bowl and set aside.
- In a large, clean, metal bowl, beat egg whites on medium speed until very soft peaks form. Continue to beat while slowly adding sugar in a steady stream. Beat until peaks are stiff but not dry. Use a rubber spatula to beat one-third of egg whites into cherry puree. Gently fold puree into remaining egg whites. Divide this mixture among ramekins and smooth the tops. Bake just until well-risen and beginning to brown, 12 to 14 minutes.
- To serve, immediately bring soufflés to the table. Pass around warm chocolate sauce, so that each person may split his soufflé in the middle and spoon in sauce if desired.
- For warm chocolate sauce: Heat 2 or 3 inches of water in a small saucepan to a low simmer. Combine chocolate with butter and heavy cream in a heatproof bowl that fits over saucepan — bowl should not touch water. Stir until chocolate melts. Remove from heat and stir well until smooth; serve immediately. (Sauce may be reheated by setting it over simmering water as in preparation.).