Prep 10 mins
Cook 50 mins
Source: Taste of Home
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 cup cold butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped almonds
- 1 cup candied cherry, halved
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, salt and baking powder.
- Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- In another bowl, whisk the eggs, milk and vanilla; stir into flour mixture until blended.
- Stir in almonds and cherries (dough will be crumbly).
- Divide dough in half; shape into two balls.
- On an ungreased baking sheet, shape each half into a 10-in. x 2-1/2-in. rectangle.
- Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown.
- Carefully remove to wire racks; cool for 20 minutes.
- Transfer to a cutting board; cut diagonally with a sharp knife into 3/4-in. slices.
- Place cut side down on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until firm.
- Remove to wire racks to cool.
- Store in an airtight container.