Recipe by more snax
I don't really know where I got this recipe from, But I've had it hanging around for a while. These are so yummy, my boyfriend asks for them at least once a week. Perfect for a holiday dinner, cookie exchange, or any other party where you want to dazzle your friends/make them love you forever. I sprinkle the top of this with sea salt before I pop it in the oven, I think it adds that little extra something. I've also drizzled it with melted chocolate after they've cooled, but their so rich you really don't need it!
Top Review by Mommi D
This was easy to make, smelled WONDERFUL cooking, and tastes GREAT! I completely understand why the BF wants you to make it frequently. My husband is already a fan! The sea salt adds a nice flavor, I am a fan of the salty/sweet combo. Using the parchment paper makes this even easier to "de-pan" and clean up, always a good idea.
- 1 cup butter sweet cream
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1⁄2 lb slivered almonds
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 3 tablespoons milk or 3 tablespoons heavy cream
Directions See How It's Made
- For the Shortbread:.
- Preheat your oven to 350.
- prepare a 9" x 13" pan with either flour and butter, or a piece of parchment paper pressed into the pan and up the sides slightly. (I use parchment).
- Cream your butter and sugar together.
- scrape the bowl and add yolks.
- scrape the bowl again, making sure the yolks are mixed in, but don't over mix.
- Add your spices and one cup of flour, mix briefly until just combined, then add your second cup of flour.
- Your dough should be moist and clumpy, dump this into your pan and press to fit in an even layer, with your fingertips. this doesn't have to be perfect.
- Bake for 15-20 min, until just set and lightly browned at edges.
- Prep your ingredience for the caramel as you put the shortbread in the oven.
- Put everything except the almonds into a heavy bottomed sauce pan.
- when you pull the short bread out of the oven, turn the burner on medium, and heat until the mixture is bubbly and starting to brown, stirring fairly constantly. Using a heat resistant spatula is great, so you can scrape along the bottom to prevent burning. this will take 5 min or so from everything melting.
- Turn off the heat and stir in your almonds until evenly coated.
- spread the whole mixture on top of the shortbread and pop it back into the oven for another 15 to 20 minute.
- the mix will bubble in the oven, its done when the caramel starts to turn golden and the almonds at the edges start to toast.
- Let this cool for 20-30 min, then cut with a bench knife or a chefs knife. I like to cut them into triangles, but like brownies, you can go for whatever floats your boat on this end!