Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
I don't really know where I got this recipe from, But I've had it hanging around for a while. These are so yummy, my boyfriend asks for them at least once a week. Perfect for a holiday dinner, cookie exchange, or any other party where you want to dazzle your friends/make them love you forever. I sprinkle the top of this with sea salt before I pop it in the oven, I think it adds that little extra something. I've also drizzled it with melted chocolate after they've cooled, but their so rich you really don't need it!
- 1 cup butter sweet cream
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1⁄2 lb slivered almonds
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 3 tablespoons milk or 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- For the Shortbread:.
- Preheat your oven to 350.
- prepare a 9" x 13" pan with either flour and butter, or a piece of parchment paper pressed into the pan and up the sides slightly. (I use parchment).
- Cream your butter and sugar together.
- scrape the bowl and add yolks.
- scrape the bowl again, making sure the yolks are mixed in, but don't over mix.
- Add your spices and one cup of flour, mix briefly until just combined, then add your second cup of flour.
- Your dough should be moist and clumpy, dump this into your pan and press to fit in an even layer, with your fingertips. this doesn't have to be perfect.
- Bake for 15-20 min, until just set and lightly browned at edges.
- Prep your ingredience for the caramel as you put the shortbread in the oven.
- Put everything except the almonds into a heavy bottomed sauce pan.
- when you pull the short bread out of the oven, turn the burner on medium, and heat until the mixture is bubbly and starting to brown, stirring fairly constantly. Using a heat resistant spatula is great, so you can scrape along the bottom to prevent burning. this will take 5 min or so from everything melting.
- Turn off the heat and stir in your almonds until evenly coated.
- spread the whole mixture on top of the shortbread and pop it back into the oven for another 15 to 20 minute.
- the mix will bubble in the oven, its done when the caramel starts to turn golden and the almonds at the edges start to toast.
- Let this cool for 20-30 min, then cut with a bench knife or a chefs knife. I like to cut them into triangles, but like brownies, you can go for whatever floats your boat on this end!
This was easy to make, smelled WONDERFUL cooking, and tastes GREAT! I completely understand why the BF wants you to make it frequently. My husband is already a fan! The sea salt adds a nice flavor, I am a fan of the salty/sweet combo. Using the parchment paper makes this even easier to "de-pan" and clean up, always a good idea.