Prep 30 mins
Cook 35 mins
Crisp layers of almond-filled meringue baked on top of cake layers, then sandwiched with whipped cream and drizzled with melted chocolate!
- 1 (510 g) packaged vanilla cake mix or 1 (510 g) white cake mix
- 1⁄2 cup toasted ground almonds
- 4 eggs, separate yolks and reserve whites
- 1⁄3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 ounces semisweet chocolate
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Grease and flour three 9" round cake pans.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Pour cake mix and ground almonds into a large bowl, add milk, oil and egg yolks. Beat on low speed until blended, then beat on medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Divide batter between the three prepared pans. Set aside.
- In a bowl, whisk egg whites until foamy, continue whisking gradually adding 1 cup of sugar until stiff peaks form.
- Gently fold in sliced almonds.
- Spread mixture evenly over the cake batter in pans.
- Bake as directed on package, approximately 25 - 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted in centre comes out clean.
- Cool 20 minutes, remove from pans.
- Cool completely before you put the filling between the layers.
- Filling and decoration:.
- Whip cream, sugar and vanilla until soft peaks form. Place one cake layer on serving plate; spread one half of the cream on cake layer. Put second layer on top, repeat the process and place third layer on top.
- Melt chocolate over low heat and stir in butter.
- Drizzle cake with chocolate mixture.
- Chill before serving.
Oh my, this was terrific! I haven't made many cake mix desserts but the description of this cake won me over. This is so simple and looks fantastic! I used a Duncan Hines White cake mix. Next time I would cut back slightly on the sugar in the whipped cream filling- just personal taste. Make sure you have enough room in your fridge- this baby's tall! Thanks so much for this showstopper.