Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
A Jacques Pepin recipe, I think it is one of his fast foods. This cake is made in the food processor.
- 4 ounces almond paste
- 4 ounces unsalted butter, plus more
- unsalted butter, for greasing the pan
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 dash salt
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 tablespoons water
- 3 tablespoons whiskey or 3 tablespoons rum or 3 tablespoons cognac
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 lbs mixed berries (raspberries, blueberries, strawberries and or or blackberries)
- 1⁄2 cup apricot jam, diluted with
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 8 -10 mint leaves
- 1 cup sour cream or 1 cup creme fraiche
- Preheat the oven to 350°F
- Butter an 8-inch round cake pan that is 2 inches deep.
- Line the bottom with parchment paper and butter the paper.
- Put the almond paste, sugar, 1 stick of butter and the vanilla in a food processor and process for 10 seconds.
- Add the eggs, milk, and salt and process for 5 seconds.
- Add the flour and baking powder and process for 5 to 10 seconds, until smooth.
- Pour the cake batter into the pan and bake for 45 minutes.
- Let cool.
- THE SYRUP:.
- Combine the syrup ingredients in a small bowl.
- Stir to dissolve the sugar.
- Remove the cake from the pan and transfer to a serving platter.
- Using a spoon or pastry brush, moisten the cake with the syrup.
- Scatter the berries on top of the cake and around it.
- Spoon on the diluted apricot jam and garnish with the mint leaves.
- Serve with the sour cream or crème fraiche.
- *You can make this cake early in the day. Or make several cakes, wrap, well and freeze. Defrost, still in their wrappings, in the refrigerator.