Prep 0 mins
Cook 45 mins
Here is an almond cake a little different. It uses vanilla flavouring but I'm thinking I should try it with almond flavouring too.
- 2 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄2 cup cold butter, cut up
- 3 eggs, separated
- 3⁄4 cup peach preserves or 3⁄4 cup strawberry preserves or 3⁄4 cup raspberry preserves
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped almonds
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄3 cup cooking oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2 cups peaches or 2 cups strawberries or 2 cups raspberries, fresh, frozen or canned, cut up and drained
- sweetened whipped cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degree F. In a medium bowl combine 1-1/2 cups of the flour, 2 tablespoons sugar, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until pieces are pea-size. Stir together 1 of the egg yolks and 1 tablespoon water. Sprinkle over flour mixture and toss with a fork to combine (mixture will be crumbly). Press crumb mixture on the bottom and up sides of a greased 9x2-inch round cake pan or springform pan. Spread 1/4 cup of the preserves over the bottom crust; set aside.
- For batter, in a large bowl combine remaining 1-1/4 cups flour, the 3/4 cup sugar, almonds, baking powder, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. In a small bowl combine remaining 2 egg yolks, milk, oil, and vanilla. Add to flour mixture, stirring just until combined; set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl beat egg whites and cream of tartar with an electric mixer on medium to high speed until stiff peaks form (tips stand straight). Fold egg whites into flour mixture. Pour into crumb-lined pan.
- Bake about 45 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched and a wooden toothpick inserted near center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack 15 minutes. Remove from pan; cool on wire rack.
- Place cake on serving plate, crust side down. Spread top of cake with half of the remaining preserves. Arrange fruit atop cake. Heat remaining preserves over low heat until melted. Drizzle over fruit. Serve with whipped cream. Makes 8 servings.