Prep 45 mins
Cook 16 mins
A lovely little cookie for Christmas.
- 1 1⁄2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups unsifted flour
- 2 -4 tablespoons water, as needed
- 1⁄2 cup ground almonds
- 1 egg white, unbeaten
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- With mixer, combine sugar, butter, vanilla and salt.
- Stir in flour and 2 tablespoons of water until well mixed.
- If dough is too dry to hold together, add 1 to 2 tablespoons more water.
- Combine ground almonds, egg white and almond extract and set aside.
- Using a scant 1 tablespoon of dough, form into balls.
- Make an indentation and fill with 1/4 teaspoon of almond mixture.
- Seal dough around filling and reshape into a ball.
- Place on ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 14 to 16 minutes, or until bottom of cookie is lightly browned.
- If desired, frost and decorate as desired.
- I like to dip bottoms in melted white chocolate and drizzle a bit more on tops.
- You can also add a sprinkle of chopped nuts.