Recipe by JackieOhNo!
A delectable dessert perfect for any occasion. With a texture similar to that of pound cake, this one is coated with a glazed almond topping that makes it a real winner, especially when served for brunch or with afternoon coffee or tea.
Top Review by Carol Elizabeth
This was a very good cake but I found it to be a bit on the dry side. The glaze was great. I increased the almond extract in the cake to 1/2 tsp. Thanks Jackie for a very nice recipe.
- 1⁄3 cup unsalted butter (5-1/3 T.)
- 1⁄2 cup sliced almonds
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 tablespoons fine dry breadcrumbs
- 3 cups sifted cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄4 cups unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 cups sugar
- 5 eggs, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄8 teaspoon almond extract
- 1⁄2 cup milk, room temperature
Directions See How It's Made
- For glaze:
- Generously butter 12-cup bundt or tube pan.
- Melt 1/3 cup butter in heavy small saucepan over medium heat.
- Add almonds and stir 1 minute.
- Add sugars, corn syrup and almond extract and stir until sugars dissolve and glaze bubbles, about 2 minutes.
- Pour into prepared pan, distributing evenly.
- Dust pan with breadcrumbs.
- For cake:
- Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 350 degrees.
- Sift together flour, baking powder and salt.
- Using electric mixer, beat butter until softened.
- Gradually add sugar and beat until light and fluffy.
- Beat in eggs, 1 at a time.
- Blend in vanilla and almond extract.
- Beat in dry ingredients and milk alternately, beginning and ending with dry ingredients; do not overmix.
- Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake until cake is golden brown and tester inserted in center comes out clean, about 1 hour, covering with foil if top browns too quickly.
- Invert onto rack and let cool to room temperature.