Recipe by JackieOhNo!
These take a little bit of work, but they are well worth it. Surpise a far-away friend or family member with this treat, as it travels very well, and is ideal for shipping. Prep times does not include chilling time, which is about 2-1/2 hours.
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 oranges, zest of, grated
- 1⁄4 cup lightly beaten egg
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups cake flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup raspberry jam
- 1 tablespoon amaretto liqueur
- 9 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 cup sugar, plus
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons honey (heaping)
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 drops fresh lemon juice
- 2 cups sliced blanched almonds
Directions See How It's Made
- Make cookie crust: Using electric mixer, beat butter at medium speed until light. Add sugar, salt, and orange zest; beat until fluffy, 3-5 minutes. Add egg, milk, and vanilla and beat until blended. Add flours and mix at low speed just until smooth. Refrigerate, wrapped in plastic wrap, until firm, at least 2 hours. Let dough warm at room temperature briefly before rolling out.
- Lightly butter 15-1/2x10-1/2" baking sheet. Roll out dough on lightly floured surface to rectangle slightly larger than baking sheet. Line baking sheet with dough, letting edges hang. (Dough can also be pressed into pan with fingertips.) Refrigerate at least 20 minutes.
- Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Trim dough flush with pan. Prick all over with fork. Bake until light golden, 16-18 minutes. Prick any air bubbles with fork.
- Mix jam and liqueur together and brush over hot pastry.
- Make topping: Melt butter in heavy saucepan over medium heat. Stir in sugar, honey, and salt. Cook, stirring constantly, until sugar dissolves. Stir in cream and boil, stirring constantly, until lightly thickened, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in vanilla, lemon juice, and almonds.
- Very gently spread almond mixture in smooth layer over pastry without disturbing raspberry glaze. Bake until bubbly and golden brown, 17-20 minutes.
- Cool completely in pan on wire rack. Cut into 1" squares. Store in airtight containers.